Saturday, September 18, 2010

Repentance as a Change of Mind

Many people who believe that eternal life is received by faith alone in Christ alone will also say that repentance is necessary for salvation. They harmonize these two views by saying that repentance simply means a change of mind and is basically synonymous with faith. This is based on the fact that the Greek word metanoia is constructed of the words "after" and "mind." So, those who hold that view agree with proponents of Lordship Salvation that repentance is necessary for eternal salvation, but disagree with them regarding the definition of repentance. Though I for several years held to this position, over time it has become obvious to me that there are some serious problems with this view, and that it is more biblically consistent to see repentance as involving turning from sin, but as not being a requirement for eternal salvation.

Weaknesses of the "Change of Mind" Position
One easily apparent weakness of the position that "repent" simply means to change one's mind is the fact that there are many uses of the word in the New Testament which either refer to or strongly imply a change in actions. This is important, because words in languages are defined by their usage, not simply by the parts by which they are made up. So once it is granted that repentance is a requirement for receiving eternal life, it is very difficult to maintain the idea that good works are not a part of the equation, at least as an "inevitable result" of repentance. Here I will give just a few examples.

In Luke 17:3, Jesus spoke of forgiving a brother who has sinned against you if he repents. It seems clear that the brother being spoken of here doesn't simply change his mind about his behavior and continue in it, but actually turns away from what he has done, at least for a time. In Acts 26:20, Paul is recorded as saying that he taught people that they needed to "repent, turn to God, and do works befitting repentance." So if Paul is here summarizing his teaching of how to have eternal life, then not only did he fail to mention faith, but good works seem to play an integral part, at least in showing the reality of repentance. In 2 Cor. 12:21, speaking to believers, Paul talked about his fear of having to deal with those who had not repented of the sins which they were practicing. Again in this context, it is clear that more than a change of mind is in view. Paul wanted the believers in Corinth to stop practicing those sins, and knew he would have to deal harshly with them if they had not. Revelation 9:20-21, speaking of unbelievers during the tribulation period, says that they would not repent of their idolatry and other sins. Again, the point is not simply that they would not change their minds and recognize that they were sinners, but that they were determined to persist in those sins.

In addition to the problem that there are several passages in which repentance clearly refers to abandoning some kind of sinful behavior, there is the problem that biblical Greek dictionaries nearly always refer to repentance as in some way involving turning from sin. For example, Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words says, "this change of mind involves both a turning from sin and a turning to God." Louw and Nida's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament defines repent as "to change one's way of life as the result of a complete change of thought and attitude with regard to sin and righteousness." Other lexicons are similar. While it is possible that all the Greek scholars involved in these works were misguided by their theology, it still makes it difficult to maintain or promote a position which requires that every Greek dictionary is wrong, not to mention every English Bible translation since the English word repent, used in every major translation, also carries the idea of turning from sins.

The other major weakness in the change of mind position is also a weakness in the view that repentance as a turning from sin is necessary in order to receive eternal life, and that is the fact that John, the one book of the New Testament which was written to lead unbelievers to faith in Christ, does not mention repentance at all. Nor is repentance mentioned in the book of Galatians, which was written to defend the true gospel, or in Ephesians, or in any section of Romans which deals with justification. Surely if repentance, no matter which way it is defined, was a necessary part of receiving eternal life, it would have been mentioned in the one book of the New Testament which was specifically written to bring people to faith in Christ, and would have been present in the apostle Paul's discussions of justification.

Problems With the Implications of the "Change of Mind" Position
Initially, when I started to study out the issue of repentance and whether it refers to more than a change of mind, I was focussed only on the usage of the word in scripture and which definition fit the data better. However, over time, I began to realize that there were logical problems with the change of mind view which I had not previously seen. One of these issues is that it introduces subjectivity into the reception of eternal life. Most of the references to repentance, if they are referring to a change of mind, do not specify what people must change their minds about. So how could anyone know if he had adequately changed his mind about the right things? If the word "repent" was understood to mean "turn from your sins," then it would make sense that it would often appear in scripture without any further clarification. But if it meant "change your mind," then people would need to know exactly what they needed to change their minds about.

The other thing I realized about defining repentance as a change of mind and seeing it as a prerequisite for eternal life is that it actually presents two requirements for eternal life, rather than the single requirement of believing in Jesus which is presented so clearly in the book of John and in the epistles. When I held to the change of mind view, I would have said that repentance and faith were basically synonymous, but at the same time I would have said that unless a person had adequately changed his mind about God's holiness, his own complete sinfulness, and the identity of Christ, he would not be saved. That means that I was viewing these changes of mind as prerequisites to saving faith, and faith and prerequisites to faith cannot be the same thing.

When repentance is viewed as a change of mind, it is often said that it is synonymous with faith, but it is difficult to see how changing one's mind about sin, for example, and believing in Jesus Christ for eternal life can mean the same thing. If we make a change of mind about sin into propositions, it might look something like this, "I used to think that any wrong I had done was not a big deal. Now I have changed my mind and know that my sins are offensive to God and have cut me off from Him." While this kind of thinking certainly should prepare a person to believe in Christ, it should be easy to see that it is not the same as believing in Him, and therefore cannot be synonymous with faith. Also, it is quite possible for someone to have this kind of change of mind about sin without believing in Jesus for eternal life. This then becomes two requirements for salvation.

Even if repentance is defined specifically as a change of mind about Christ, rather than about sin or self, it is difficult to see how it is synonymous with faith. A person who has changed his mind about Christ might say, "I used to believe that Jesus was just a great teacher, but now I have changed my mind and believe that He is God." Again, this might prepare a person to believe in Christ for eternal life, but is not the same thing as believing. Many people believe that Jesus is God without believing in Him in the biblical sense of believing in Him for eternal life. Thus they have "changed their minds" about Him, but have not believed. If one can do one without the other, they cannot be synonymous.

So how many requirements for eternal life are there? Is it enough for a person to believe in Jesus Christ for eternal life or eternal salvation, or must he first meet certain prerequisites by changing his mind about God's holiness, his own inability, the offensiveness of sin, and the identity of Christ? Again, these areas may be psychological prerequisites for most people, but that is different than presenting them as biblical prerequisites to faith and then trying to say that they aren't really an additional requirement besides faith.

Conclusion
Most unsaved people have at least one major issue about which they will need to change their minds in order to believe in Jesus. Some have many issues. But I do not believe that these changes of mind leading up to faith are what the Bible refers to when it says "repent." In the Old Testament, the people of Israel were never called on by the prophets to change their minds, but they were often called on to turn from their evil ways in order to turn aside God's temporal judgment. In the same way, in the New Testament, Jews and Gentiles, believers and unbelievers are in different contexts called on to "repent," or turn from their sins, but this is a different issue than "believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved." The changes of mind which might need to take place in order to lead someone to faith in Christ will take place as they are exposed to truth, if they are open to it, but this is a different issue than repentance.

12 comments:

  1. Ken, this is another EXCELLENT paper!!! I appreciate so much the way you very carefully prove your points... step by step. I use to hold the "change of mind" view also. I always knew from the moment I was saved that works had nothing to do with my eternal salvation, so to me repentance HAD to mean a change of mind. At the time it made sense that repentance was just the other side of the coin of faith.... when you believe you change your mind. But you have shown very convincingly that this is not what it means. Repentance is MORE than a change of mind about Christ, and it is NOT a requirement to receive eternal life.

    Thank you again for sharing the fruit of your studies with us here at your blog and doing it in such a gracious manner. I love it, and I'm learning.

    With a grateful heart,
    Diane
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken, youve thought through this subject very good. I became convinced after studying Zanes book "Harmony with God." It was him that showed me the difference between forgiveness being personal and justification being judicial. I spent most of a summer camping out by myself with that book and my Bible. At the time I felt an urgent need to know because I was ministering to dying people, and telling them how to get to heaven.
    To be consistant with a gift you can take freely I knew that the only condition was to believe (receive the saving light). But, I later saw were repentance and belief were closely related, and both to be preached (Luke 24:47; Acts 17:30; 20:21), one to do with harmony with God, and temporal judgment. The other to do with faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ. In Acts 26:17-20 I see the imagary of turning from darkness to light to bring them to the position to receive forgiveness and sanctification by faith in Jesus. That imagary reminds me of John 3:19-21. I remember Zane saying that comining to the light is not the same as believing in the light. Nicodemus came to the light but did not yet believe (John 3:2,9-11).
    "For God did not send His Son into the world to judge (krino) the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. He who believes in Him is not judged (krino): but he who does not believe is judged (krino) already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. "And this is the condemnation (krisis) that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. "For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed. "But he who does truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be clearly seen, that they have been done in God." (John 3:17-21)

    It all starts with responding to the light you are given, if you receive that light God gives you more light. That shows that God is working in that person bringing about repentance for light reveals our offence toward God. But, that is not a condition for the free gift of eternal life that can be freely taken. Some will respond to less light as I believe children do, for anyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ are born of God. Meaning they have simply believed His promise to give them everlasting life.

    Ken, straighten me out brother if yah see I've gone a-stray on my thinking?

    alvin:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alvin,

    Those are good thoughts. I guess I had never thought about coming to the light being different than believing, but it makes sense. Thanks for your comment. We'll see if anyone else comments in the next week or two. I know Gary is reading the blog too, though hasn't had time to comment. Other than that, I'm not sure if anyone else is out there, but that's okay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ken, this point that you made jumped out at me. It's an excellent point... at least it was for me. You said...

    Most unsaved people have at least one major issue about which they will need to change their minds in order to believe in Jesus. Some have many issues. But I do not believe that these changes of mind leading up to faith are what the Bible refers to when it says "repent."*

    This shed something new for me to think about. Yes, we all change our mind about something leading up to believing in Christ, but to assume that repentance means ONLY a change of mind from unbelief to belief is missing God's INTENDED PURPOSE for preaching repentance. It's important to me to know what God meant by what He said.

    You have made some very good points in your paper here in regards to WHAT GOD MEANT~!!! I would suggest for those who have read your paper and still think repentance is ONLY a change of mind about Christ (from unbelief to belief), that they REREAD your paper a couple more times. I know that when I read something that takes on a different viewpoint than mine, I need to slowly and carefully study it again and again to see if I'm missing something. I also know that everyone has their favorite teachers who they trust. I've come to trust you. I'm not saying that makes you right, but I know that you have truly sought God's truth, and it is showing. Because of that I'm willing and eager to check out in scripture what you're saying.

    I hope that if anyone is reading your paper here and is having difficulty seeing your point, that they will read it again and again if necessary. Understanding what God means by "repentance" will open up the rest of the Bible to truth that has previously been missed. God is telling us something IMPORTANT when He says repent~!!! If we miss it, we've missed a lot of what God has revealed in His Word. In other words, there's a lot in the Bible we've got wrong. And getting it wrong means that all those passages on repentance are not being understood the way God meant for us to understand them. We've missed His intended purpose for saying what He has said. Isn't it worth the study?

    Heb. 11:6b... "He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him".

    With much joy because of Jesus,
    Diane
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll put a little flesh on some of these points, maybe to help someone see a difference. I know a time is BIG with some people, and this will show I think the difference between God's light and Godly sorrow producing repentance because I had both happen but at different times in my life.

    Knowing the exact time you passed from death to life is beside the point. The point is you believe Jesus promise to give you eternal life. Therefore you KNOW you will never perish based solely on His word.
    I know the difference from my own life of fearing hell and Godly sorrow producing repentance.
    At the age of twelve I found myself at a summer Bible Camp looking up into the stars one night, and knowing that if i died right then I would be in hell. It's the Holy Spirit that convicts the world of sin, righteousness, and judgment (John 16:8). That meant I was receiving light concerning my sin (John 3:19,20). The next moment I knew that Jesus had died for my sins so I wouldn't have to go to hell but go to heaven with Him. At that moment I had believed He had saved me. My next thoughts were I needed to make a public profession by walking the isle the next day which scarred the daylight out of me. That was the baptist way, which I saw over and over my dad being a pastor. At that time my theology had many errors. I'm sure I was told that to be saved one needed to confess Christ. Which was true concerning the saving of the life of the one who had ALREADY been saved (from hell). But it was to late because Jesus had ALREADY given me His gift of eternal life in spite of my errors in theology. Why I say that is because when one believes that Jesus has saved them by faith alone they have believed in Him as the Christ and have passed from death into life . . . .done deal~!
    I had an overwhelming joy after I had walked the isle the next day and wanted to share my joy with anyone who would listen.
    I did not walk with the Lord until I was married, and we had our child some 35 years later. All I can say is God gave me MUCH grace. At that time Godly sorrow over my sin produced repentance in me (2 Cor 7:10). I shed many tears over my sin taking it all to the cross. I woke up the next day, and for the first time felt God's presence with me. I was in fellowship but still in ignorance concerning the different meanings of salvation. I'm sure that repentance had saved my life from being taken home early.

    alvin:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ken, your Grace In Focus article was excellent~! I was happy to see you made clear you were a non-calvinist. Zane also stated in Dave Hunts book "What Love Is This" that the five points of Calvinism were unbiblical. Jody Dillow was shown in that book to be a staunch Calvinist who quoted much of Calvin. Jody being a four point Calvinist shows in his book "Reign Of The Servant Kings" that God did not want to save those who do not believe anyway (page 543)quote: Christ's atonement was never intended to pay for the sins of those who have not believed. Of course Dillow also believes that faith is a gift (page 280). Calvinism in it's roots go back to Augustine and his horrible decree. Vance said Calvinism is therefore the greatest "Christian" heresy that has ever plagued the Church (page 10 The Other Side Of Calvinism).
    Well enough said about that, but I'm glad you made clear your a non-calvinist.

    alvin:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here is a how-to share the gospel to the world around you:) Maybe you have never heard of a trikke http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTyPCbEO78s, but it is a piece of exercise equipment that you use outdoors. It's all body motion, it strengthens your core. I have many people who want to know what it is, and how do I make it go. Everyone who rides my trikke I give them a tract 'the best news you'll ever hear.' I pray that God will send me those people open to the good news. Some days I pass out all my tracts other days maybe just one. I've found it to be an effective way to talk to people about Jesus and His wonderful gift.

    alvin:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alvin, What a wonderful and fun way to share the good news of Jesus Christ. Don't think that would work for me. I would break~!!!
    Ha-Ha~!!!

    Diane
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Alvin,

    I watched a video of people trikking and it looked cool. It looks to me like the type of thing that might take off and become a trend, though, which will mean that people will get used to seeing them and won't stop to ask about them. In the meantime, anyway, it sounds like a great way to talk to people. I think that's a challenge in our society. One thing I liked about Papua New Guinea (though there were several I didn't like) was that there were always people who had plenty of time to talk and were willing to do so. Hope you have lots of fruitful discussions. I am planning on starting to get out more and just knock on doors to try to talk to people, but maybe they'd feel less threatened if I was riding a trikke around. In any case, I always feel like the challenge is moving from chatting about whatever into a spiritual conversation. Hopefully we can have more discussion about that on this blog in the future.

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ken, I too find it challenging to go from chatting into a spiritual conversation. In America everyone is suppose to be tolerant of everyone's beliefs, and it's not "cool" to talk to others about your faith.

    But I admire Alvin for his unique way of sharing Jesus Christ with people. NEAT~!!!
    :-)

    When you said that it was easier to talk with people in PNG, I had thought about that even before you said it. I kind of figured that was the case. But if God has brought you back to the States to serve Him, then He will open those doors. It's hard for us to do, but not for God. You are in a privileged place.... right in the center of His will~!!! Praying for you and your family.

    Looking forward to hearing you at the GES Conference.

    Diane
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Ken, and Diane,

    Actually it's very easy for me to transition from talking to them about the trikke to spiritual things. When I'm fininshed demontrating the trikke, and letting them ride it and answering all their questions. I simply say "everyone who I let ride my trikke I give one of these. And it's allot better than a trikke, it's the free gift of eternal life that Jesus gives." Depending how open they are is how much I share. But, I always make clear that the gift is free, but discipleship cost everything. Not many people have ever heard it articulated that way, they useally have heard it in "contract" form with discipleship as something that is just expected. I don't think out of the hundreds I have talked to I've gotten a negative response. They were all so very happy for me to take the time out of my workout to talk to them, they are more than glad to give me their ear:)

    Out of the hundreds I meet on the walking&bike path each day I hardly ever see a trikke. I think it's in Califorinia and Florida where you would run into allot of trikkes. Here in the Tri-cities I've seen in one year five at the most out of a population of over one million. I have a boom box on mine with good music. And I get so many who say 'you look like your having so much fun~!" And I am:)

    alvin:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, I really appreciate your blog. Since I am about to disagree and challenge this a bit, I want to make clear that I consider you a true brother in the defense of grace and I challenge this in a spirit of respect and brotherly love. In other words, if we lived close I would be sitting with you drinking coffee or a beer and sharing thoughts back and forth, and really enjoying it!

    I read this post very carefully because I have argued pretty strongly that repentance does mean primarily a change of mind. You can read my primary post here:

    http://thereforenow.com/?p=252

    I think you will find other passages, important ones, that do not paint repentance as moral change or renewed moral resolve. In particular, Jesus' three parables of lost things, the lost coin, the lost sheep, the lost son, paint repentance (and the word is specifically used) as a reconciliation, and I think it is very carefully shown that there is no moral resolve involved.

    (Not that I am against moral resolve!)

    I also think that you overplay the complexity of looking at repentance as a change of mind. It means, belief in grace, belief in the love that God has for us. I spell that out quite a bit in my blog post.

    However I have to say that some of your points really stick. The passage where a brother sins against you, and if he repents, you are to forgive him, you are right that it is a stretch to say that this means only a change of mind. So I am actually going to reexamine this.

    In the bigger picture, if we really do want to repent in a moral sense, there is no way to do so except by grace, by becoming a new creature, by setting our minds on the things of the Spirit and not of the flesh.

    Thanks for some thought provoking stuff! I'm glad to have found you.

    ReplyDelete